E-Waste -What Is It & Ways To Recycle It
In the past years, one of the noticeable trends is the easy access to newer and lesser priced models in electronic goods such as computers, laptops, phones, TVs, etc. Being easily accessible, there has been an increase in the use of electronic items. This has led to an increase in E-waste. But what is E-waste?
The definition of e-waste that has been agreed is: “E-Waste is a term used to cover items of all types of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) and its parts that have been discarded by the owner as waste without the intention of re-use.”
Types Of E-Waste
Take a look at the kinds of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) that constitute E-Waste
E-Waste Contributing To The Growth Of Waste Streams
E-waste is projected to grow by almost 40% by 2030. One of the reasons for E-Waste’s exponential growth is due to the rising consumer demand. Moreover, improving technology and reduction in replacement cycles are contributing to the growth of e-waste. Having the means to enjoy a better, comfortable lifestyle has created a downstream problem of disposing of these means in a safe manner.
E-waste Disposal In A Safe Manner
Recycling is one of the means of ensuring the safe disposal of E-waste. The recycling process recovers material from old devices to use in new products.
Reasons why Recycling of E-waste is important
- Reduces the toxin levels in the environment-By not burning the electronic waste we are reducing toxin levels in the environment thus making this planet a better place to live.
- Avoids occupation of Landfill space- Recycling allows landfill space to be used for better purposes such as storage of other essential items.
- Repurposes electronics and metals- With recycling metals like copper in e-waste can be extracted to make batteries, jewelry, metal plates, and other electronics. Also, recycling ensures that metals are being used rather than being wasted.
- Impacts human health positively-Recycling helps prevent several ailments pertaining to kidney, brain, cancer, respiration, and lifestyle by reducing the harmful chemicals’ level.
A normal recycling process involves
- Sorting the E-Waste by hand and extracting the copper and batteries and copper for quality control.
- Shredding the Items into pieces as small as 100mm to prepare the e-waste to be thoroughly sorted. This is also where the data destruction takes place.
- Further reduction in sizes of the small debris. Dust is extracted and disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
- Removal of steel and iron are removed from the debris using a magnet
- Separation of aluminum, copper, and brass from the non-metallic content. The metallic component is then reused and resold as raw materials.
- Separation of plastic from the glass content using water
- Post-separation all raw materials are then resold.
Apart from the normal judicious recycling process, there are other ways to recycle E-Waste judiciously. Some of them are
- Postponing the recycling of a working device, by donating it to organizations supporting needy causes. This can help the underprivileged to gain access to electronic devices. The donated electronic devices can be used by the underprivileged to further their studies or help them in their jobs.
- Getting e-waste recycled with a recycler who recycles in a responsible manner, and has a minimal impact on human health and the environment more so in the current scenario. We at Eshred value health and the environment. We ensure to provide a safe recycling service by disinfecting all our bins between services.
- Opting for options provided by the electronic outlets based out of the neighborhood. Options could be exchanging old electronic items for new electronic devices, dropping of electronic devices, and mail-in services for devices such as mobile phones. These retailers can then exchange the old devices with the respective for reuse and creation of new products.
- Ensuring that an e-waste recycling policy is set up and e-waste is audited against those policies. The policy could include safe and secure deletion of data.
Looking to get your e-waste recycled responsibly we are there to help you. We provide E-waste services that protect your business. We have been assisting residential, commercial, and industrial customers with our outstanding five-star services.